This is a performance and usage metrics features that you can use in a workspace. Using these metrics, you can view who is using your reports, how they are using the report, what actions are being done on the reports, and what performance issues exist.
It is necessary to know about usage and performance of your workspace because knowing how your content is being used helps you demonstrate your impact and prioritize your efforts, and If you know the areas that experience the least performance, you can concentrate your efforts for improvement in those areas.
You need a Power BI Pro license to run and access the usage metrics data, and can only be accessed by users with the role types of Admin, Member, or Contributor.
Lets see how to configure and view usage metrics report in Power BI service.
Login to your Power BI service account (https://app.powerbi.com) , then go to workspaces and navigate to My workspace then select the workspace, here we have selected a Workspace-X.
Once you click on Workspace-x, you will see a list of available report and dashboard.
Now select the report or dashboard that you want to see usage metrics for.
Lets see the usage metrics report for SalesBySegment, select the ellipsis (…), and then select View usage metrics report from the drop-down menu.
Once you click on View usage metrics report, you can see a pop up notification window. Let you know that usage metrics report is preparing.
When the usage metrics report is ready for viewing, you will receive a prompt that will direct you to a dashboard.
There you can see 4 tabs as follows :
In the Report usage tab, you can view such details as:
- Viewers per day, Unique viewers per day (which doesn’t include users who returned to the same reports multiple times), and Shares per day charts
- Total Views, Total Viewers, and Total Shares KPI cards
- Total views and shares ranking (compares how your report is doing in comparison to other reports in the app)
- Views by Users (details about each specific user that viewed the dashboard).
In the Report performance tab, you can view metrics such as:
- Typical opening time – How long it takes, at the fiftieth percentile, to open the report.
- Opening time trend – How the typical opening time changes over time. This metric can tell you how the report is performing as the number of users starts to grow.
- Daily and 7-Day Performance charts – Highlight the performance for 10, 50, and 90 percent of the open-report actions every day and over a seven-day period.
- Filters for date, so you can see how the performance changes according to the day.
In the Report List tab, you can view metrics such as: report usages across entire workspace such as
Active reports, Total views, Total Viewers, View trend and unused reports.
In the FAQ tab, you can view Frequently asked questions such as:
Provides answers to frequently asked questions, such as What is a “Viewer” and what is a “View”?
246 total views, 6 views today